Monday, October 17, 2011

DIY...

Last week, Jen from IHeart Organizing linked up a few great DIY projects which did not cost a dime, basically because the readers had all of the items already on hand.

I was dreading for quite q while now with how the top of the toyshelf looked by now. In fact, we like to keep the kids books on there so they can grab them whenever they feel like reading. We wanted to lead them towards a little more independance and exactly that made the top shelf look like this...


Now that's not very pretty, is it?

So I logged off and thought with myself: If I had anything on hand to make it look better, I would do it now... Then I remembered I had just gotten a new box of powder to wash my laundry, and there was just enough left for a wash or two in the old one... So I just dropped the leftover powder into the new box. In fact I made sure that all of the leftover powder was out...

So this is how it started...



It was a little big, so I just cut it off, going by the biggest book I would put in there.


After that, I took some wrapping paper I already had on hand and wrapped the box up as good as I could. I do not have pictures available of this process, because I was getting sidetracked running after all these gaming cards that seem to accumulate at home. In fact they are supposed to be in the plastic box on the left side of the top self, along with some ither nic nacs. Now if I... Wait, I HAD...

Two small cereal boxes. The ones that include one serving and I like to buy for the kids so they can try out other sorts and brands of cereal without having to boy one big box...
I took a game card to see it it would fit and...


After some cutting and adjusting, I had gotten this...


I chose not to use the same wrapping paper again, but a sheet in a matching color. I also chose to cut out one of the fish from the wrapping paper, and glue it to the now colored boxes as well.
Now I was left with the nic nacs. Too good I had an empty soupcan from the night before's dinner. After washing it out and making sure it was dry, I chose yet another color of colored paper and wrapped it. Sticking the cereal box to the powder box was an easy one. The soup can was a little more challenging... But I made it... :)


First mission accomplished. The space looks more presentable now. I esp like that the plastic box with the cards and small games is gone. I need at least 2 more powder boxes to finish. It could take a while until the one I just started will be empty, so I asked around to make sure to get some as soon as possible. I am also looking for diaper boxes to turn them into personalized and colorful toyboxes (as seen on Pinterest). I hope you like what I did and check back soon to see the progress:)

3 comments:

  1. Great idea. With 3 young kids, we always have an endless supply of empty boxes. Even though we recycle them, I always feel bad tossing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using stuff that I already have. What a great idea. I would love for you to stop by and link up to More the Merrier Monday. It is open through Wednesday so you have plenty of time to link up. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, now that is AWESOME! I love what you did with the box and how adorable the space looks! High fives to an incredible no cost project so well done!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete